What makes us the purr-fect practice?
As cat lovers ourselves, we know our feline patients have unique needs. While The Drake Center is not a cat-only hospital, our team is wholly committed to their specialized care.
The Drake Center was named a Gold Status Cat Friendly Practice by the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) in 2012. This means our hospital has met high environmental, handling and treatment standards of practice determined by leaders in the field of feline medicine. These standards help us improve the ways we interact with your cat so every visit can be as positive and stress-free as possible.
Our hospital's "cat committee" meets several times a year to assess our feline patients' needs and how we can best serve them. In addition, many of our doctors have a keen interest in feline medicine and spend hours dedicated to furthering their expertise through continuing education.
Here are just a few ways we aim to ensure your cat's visit is a pleasant one:
- Whenever possible, we use a special exam room for cats featuring feline pheromones, soft carpeting and kitty treats.
- The Drake Center staff are experts on how cats prefer to be handled in the exam room — including giving them plenty of time to acclimate to their surroundings, allowing them to come out of the carrier on their own terms, speaking softly and using calm body language.
- We encourage cat owners to make early morning appointments when it is very quiet in the hospital.
- We ensure that hospitalized or boarding cats are housed in a feline-only area with no barking dogs.
We are also proud to offer feline house calls!
We Support Every Stage Of Your Cat's Life
As your feline friend grows, they will move through six distinct stages of life:
- Kitten: 0 - 6 months
- Junior: 7 months - 2 years
- Prime: 3 - 6 years
- Mature: 7 - 10 years
- Senior: 11 - 14 years
- Geriatric: 15+ years
Naturally, as a cat grows and progresses through life, it will undergo physiological changes and face a variety of life events that will require care and attention. From kitten care to geriatric cat medicine, consistent preventive care can make all the difference in the quality of life of your cat. Ultimately your cat's health will impact your relationship with them.
Cats are very good at hiding illness. In fact, most cats will simply become less active and less interactive when very ill. Any signs of illness that a cat may show will be very subtle. Any change in their behavior should warrant a consideration that they may be ill. Many clients will return from work to find that their cat simply does not greet them at the door as usual. This may be an indication that your cat is ill. Because the signs of cat illness are so subtle, if you should notice any obvious changes in behavior please call our office.
Hospital Hours :
- Surgery check-in: 7am -7:30am
- Monday - Friday: 7am - 7pm
- Saturday: 7am - 5pm
- Sunday: 8am - 5pm
If you happen to call after 7:00pm Monday-Friday or after 5:00pm Saturday-Sunday, we will refer you to a 24 hour emergency clinic nearby.
A Cat Friendly Certified Hospital
Because the medical needs of cats are unique, our hospital utilizes specialized equipment, training of employees and facilities specific to felines. We have a dedicated feline only examination room and we minimize stress by utilizing feline pheromones and soft cozy surfaces which will allow your cat to feel safe and secure. Our staff are trained to allow cats to move at their own pace which allows them to feel less stress during their visit to our hospital. Cats have special needs when it comes to exploring new environments. We understand the needs of cats and how to keep their stress to a minimum. While we can not make all cats feel completely at home, we can help all cats to feel safe and comfortable during their visit to The Drake Center.
The Drake Center is certified by the American Association of Feline Practitioners as a Cat Friendly Practice. This accreditation means our veterinary practice specializes in meeting the diverse array of feline needs, including:
- Understanding the unique needs of cats, thereby making veterinary visits more cat-friendly
- Understanding how to approach and handle cats in a gentle, empathetic and caring manner
- Having an appropriate standard of equipment needed to diagnose and treat feline patients
- Meeting the standards for the facilities and care of hospitalized cats
Cat Health Services and Treatments
At The Drake Center we specialize in the following cat health services for cats of all ages, breeds and circumstances:
- Acupuncture: Our practice utilizes both eastern and western medicine through the cosideration and inclusion of acupuncture in some cases
- Allergy Testing: Cats commonly face a number of allergens that can cause a wide variety of symptoms, allergy testing can help us identify and properly treat the root cause of some issues
- Anesthesia: We have the facilities, equipment, medicine and knowledge to ensure your cat stays safe while under anesthesia
- Behavior Services: Your cat's behavior is not genetically inherent, but can be learned and unlearned with your commitment and our help
- Boarding: If you are going on a trip and want to make sure that your cat is well taken care of, our staff can ensure high quality affordable care
- Cancer Treatment: Our communicative, community approach to cancer treatment makes all the difference for you and your cat
- Dental Care: Our knowledge and dental experience can help prevent and treat your cat's dental conditions, including periodontal disease
- Dermatology: Diagnosing skin conditions early is highly beneficial in treatment. However, if a skin condition has already developed, it must be addressed before it worsens
- Deworming: Intestinal parasites are a danger both your pet and family, let us ensure that your cat is protected from worms
- Diagnostic Imaging: Diagnostic imaging allows our veterinarians and technicians to accurately diagnose your cat's condition so that the proper treatment can be prescribed
- Eye Care: Our doctors are trained to recognize feline specific eye disease and choose treatments based upon efficacy and your cat's tolerance to specific treatments.
- Flea & Tick: We employ safe and effective flea & tick treatments for your cat's health and happiness
- Homeopathic and Nutraceutical: Alternative therapies such as homeopathy may also play important roles in the treatment of some conditions
- House Calls: We are very sensitive to the needs of our clients and patients and in some cases a house call is the best way to deliver care
- Kitten Care: We help you learn to care for your kitten through education and nutritional awareness while providing the proper preventive medical treatments
- Laboratory: Our laboratory testing services mean faster and more accurate diagnostics and treatments for your cat
- Laser Therapy: Our cold laser therapy is a tool used to treat cats for post operative pain, arthritis and other inflammatory conditions. It is painless and well tolerated by all cats
- Medications: When your cat requires medication our doctors will provide the right prescription
- Microchip ID: Microchipping is the best way to aid in having your cat returned safely should it become lost
- Nutrition: We will address the specialized nutritional requirements for you cat in different life stages and to aid in the management of certain illness
- Pain Management: We specialize in effective and compassionate pain management for your cat regardless of age, ability or condition
- Preventive Care: Our comprehensive preventive care program is the first step to ensuring that your cat has a long healthy life
- Semi-Annual Wellness Exams: A cornerstone of preventive care, semi-annual wellness exams help prolong life by allowing health issues to be identified and addressed early
- Senior Care: We understand the special needs of aging cats. We will partner with you to provide the optimal plan for your aging feline
- Spay or Neuter: We provide a safe and painless surgical experience for your cat
- Surgery: Our facilities, equipment and staff offer your cat the best option for a successful surgery and recovery
- Vaccinations: Our veterinarians will recommend an individualized and personalized vaccination protocol based on your cat's needs
Make An Appointment With The Drake Center Today
Contact us to schedule an appointment with a veterinarian today!